How well do you know the YouTuber golf pro?
15 THINGS YOU DIDN’T KNOW ABOUT RICK SHIELDS
1. Shiels was born in Bolton, England on July 3, 1986.
2. Shiels earned a degree in golf studies from Myerscough College, which he actually took with fellow YouTuber Peter Finch.
3. He is a Manchester United fan.
4. After turning professional, Shiels worked at Mere Golf and Country Club in Cheshire. He then worked at the Trafford Golf Centre, where the majority of filming for his YouTube channel began.
5. His most popular YouTube video right now is with Dude Perfect. The video has amassed nearly 4.5 million views.
6. He started his YouTube channel in an effort to gain more customers. The videos worked: “Because of the videos, I’ve become one of the busiest golf coaches in the world. I had booked about seven weeks in advance and there were people coming from Europe and the United States to take classes.
7. Shiels has partnered with many big brands like Nike, Garmin and Mastercard. In 2021, after being sponsored by Nike since 2017, Shiels revealed he had parted ways with the brand. This came after the company changed its model in a way that Shiels said would negatively affect its relationship with its audience.
8. He’s been a regular name on Golf Monthly’s 50 Best Golf Coaches and has also been featured on Golf Monthly’s YouTube channel and magazine cover.
9. Shiels now films the majority of his videos at Marriott Worsley Park. On the course, Shiels staged videos with multiple DP World Tour winner Sam Horsfield, former Open Championship participant James Robinson and Soccer AM team member Tubes.
10. Speaking of Tour players, Shiels has filmed videos with Rory McIlroy, Jason Day, Tommy Fleetwood, Min Woo Lee, Tyrrell Hatton, Andrew ‘Beef’ Johnston and Lee Westwood.
11. Shiels also hosts the Rick Shiels Golf Show podcast alongside Guy Charnock. On the podcast, they look at the news of the Tour, as well as the big talking points. They also interviewed Andy Gardiner, CEO of Premier Golf League proposal Bryson DeChambeau and World Golf Hall of Fame member Annika Sorenstam.
12. In June 2019, his channel became the biggest golf channel on YouTube after surpassing 561,500 subscribers. As of January 2022, he now has over 2 million subscribers.
13. He married his wife, Claire, on March 30, 2013, and together the couple have three children.
14. During the Covid-19 lockdown, Shiels walked 4 miles (about 18 holes) carrying his golf clubs on his back to raise awareness and funds for the charity Mind. Every day, Shiels did something different for the walk, whether it was dressing up, walking with family or YouTube friends. He raised around £50,000 for the charity.
15. Shiels is known for his in-depth reviews of golf equipment like clubs and golf balls. A running joke he has among fans cuts the golf ball in half, with his viewers regularly posting memes to his social media.