Golf news 2022: Sergio Garcia claims to join Saudi golf league amid stray ball crisis

Golf star Sergio Garcia dropped a not-so-veiled hint that added to, if not confirmed, speculation of an “alarming” $360 million move.

Sergio Garcia is rumored to be one of the players attached to the Saudi-backed LIV Golf Series, the controversial PGA Tour golf league rival led by Greg Norman.

During the first round of the Wells Fargo Championship on Thursday, the 42-year-old Spaniard dropped a not-so-veiled hint that added to, if not confirmed, speculation.

Watch the 2022 PGA Championship with FOX SPORTS on Kayo. Every round live and on demand. May 20 to 23. New to Kayo? Try free for 14 days >

After firing his tee shot into a penalty box on the 10th hole at TPC Potomac Farms, it took Garcia a while to find his ball. Although he was able to find it in the tall grass of the swamp, he was told by a rules official that he had taken longer than the allotted three minutes to do so, meaning he faced a penalty. suddenly.

But Garcia disagreed with when the rules official started timing him, as the clock starts once he is deemed to be near the ball. As he walked through knee-deep grass, Garcia told the official, “A few more weeks, and I won’t have to deal with you anymore.”

The first LIV Golf Series event is scheduled for June 9-11 outside of London.

Garcia could also be heard saying, “I can’t wait to get out of this tour…can’t wait to get out of here.”

The 2017 Masters champion also let loose with some swearing.

Although Garcia declined to speak to the media after his tour, a rep for him told the New York Post that Garcia actually filed for release for the London event. He would not say whether Garcia also plans to attend the other seven LIV golf events, five of which are scheduled to be held in the United States, including Trump National Bedminster.

Just under A$360 million in prize money will be on offer across the eight events.

Earlier this week, Lee Westwood announced that he too had filed for release from the PGA Tour and DP World Tour to play in the first LIV Golf Series event next month – because the tournament conflicts with the events of these rounds, players must seek a release to compete in them.

Six-time winner Phil Mickelson and Robert Garrigus are the only other PGA Tour players to have publicly committed to the London tournament, although others are expected to do so as well.

It remains to be seen whether players who compete in the LIV Golf Series will be suspended from the PGA Tour or the DP World Tour. If Garcia chooses to play on the rival circuit, it could also jeopardize his future Ryder Cup status. The same goes for Westwood, who said on this subject that it was “in the camp of the European Tour”.

This article originally appeared on the New York Post and has been reproduced with permission

Michael C. Ford