LIV Golf news: Tiger Woods rejected billion dollar offer, Greg Norman, PGA Tour
LIV Golf has offered a figure of between $700m and $800m ($A997m to $1.1bn) for Tiger Woods in a bid to steer the 15-time major winner away from the PGA Tour, CEO says by LIV Golf, Greg Norman.
“The number has been there, yeah,” Norman said on “Tucker Carlson Tonight” Monday night.
OWatch live coverage of the USPGA Tour with Fox Sports on Kayo. New to Kayo? Start your free trial now >
“Tiger is a needle mover. So of course you have to watch the best of the best. They first contacted Tiger before I became CEO, so yeah, that number is somewhere in that neighborhood.
The Saudi-backed golf league has become famous for offering audacious sums of money to prying golfers on the PGA Tour, with Woods’ offer the most lucrative total known to date, reports the NY Post.
Norman had previously hinted at the offer, noting that the money was “surprisingly huge”.
Few professional golfers have been more critical of LIV Golf than Woods. In July, ahead of the British Open, Woods backed the R&A’s decision to disinvite Norman from its Celebration of Champions exhibition, while also lashing out at golfers who defected to join the ranks of LIV.
“Players who chose to go to LIV and play there, I disagree,” Woods said.
“I think what they’ve done is they’ve turned their backs on what got them into this position.”
The split factions even disintegrated the relationships between Woods and the other golfers.
On Monday, Bryson DeChambeau – who reportedly received more than $125 million to join LIV Golf – revealed he hadn’t spoken with Woods since his defection.
LIV Golf just completed its third tournament last weekend at Trump Bedminster, won by Henrik Stenson.
The tournament was widely criticized by families of 9/11 members who condemned former President Donald Trump for accepting “blood money” from Saudi Arabia.
This article originally appeared on the NY Post and has been reproduced with permission.