LIV Golf players NOT welcome on PGA Tour, says Jay Monahan
PGA Tour Commissioner Jay Monahan remains defiant that players who defected to LIV Golf who are still PGA Tour members will not be welcome anytime soon.
Although many PGA Tour players have changed their allegiance to LIV Golf in recent months, there are still a number of players on the Saudi-backed Tour who are still PGA Tour members, such as Brooks Koepka , Phil Mickelson, Bryson DeChambeau and new recruit Cameron Smith. .
Some LIV Golf players have now put on their PGA Tour cards such as Dustin Johnson and Sergio Garcia, in order to avoid any ongoing legal battles and fully dedicate the rest of their careers to LIV Golf without any issues.
All LIV Golf players who are still PGA Tour members remain suspended from playing all PGA Tour events, including the upcoming Presidents Cup in three weeks at Quail Hollow Club in Charlotte.
And that won’t change anytime soon, according to PGA Tour boss Monahan.
“No,” Monahan said firmly when asked by media whether or not LIV Golf Tour players would be allowed to return to the PGA Tour in the new 2022/23 season.
“They joined the LIV Golf Series. They made that commitment and for most of them, those are multi-year commitments.
“So as I’ve been clear throughout, every player has a choice. I respect their choice, but they made it, we made it ours, we’re going to focus on the things we can control and become getting stronger and stronger. I think they understand that.”
Monahan last week confirmed a host of huge changes for the PGA Tour, including 12 high events in 2023, a commitment of top players to 20 events, an expansion of the Player Impact program and guaranteed minimum earnings.
Tiger Woods and Rory McIlroy have even announced proposals for a new Monday Night League in partnership with the PGA Tour.
The new plan devised by the PGA Tour went into effect in an effort to prevent LIV Golf from taking on more of its best players.
Both Cameron Young and Hideki Matsuyama were linked with LIV Golf over the summer, but both players have decided to stick with the PGA Tour despite receiving huge offers to join the Saudi-backed series.
Matsuyama in particular, who reportedly received an offer of around $400 million. The Japanese star is said to want to continue building his legacy on the PGA Tour, at least for now.
Young confirmed to the media over the weekend that he had been in talks with LIV Golf and was definitely interested in their plans, but the latest PGA Tour news swung the vote their way.
Although Young and Matsuyama remain loyal to the PGA Tour (at least for now), LIV Golf officially announced six new signings ahead of LIV Golf Boston this week.
World No. 2 and Open champion Cameron Smith is the main name, and he was joined by Marc Leishman, Joaquin Niemann, Anirban Lahiri, Harold Varner III and Cameron Tringale.
Smith reportedly accepted a signing fee to join LIV Golf in the region of $100 million.
But many GolfMagic readers think Smith made a mistake.